Thursday, June 18, 2009

"Long Tail" Terms



I had an interesting meeting with a company called Hubspot yesterday and they brought up some interesting ideas that I thought I would pass along. The main one that I found most interesting was in order to boost your web presence, you should go after "long tail terms" on google. So what are long tail terms?

Well, if you followed the link above, the Long Tail terms really refer to terms that are less likely to have many links on google. I'll give you an example from our point of view:

For Kymanox, we would really like to be in the top 10 on the google keyword "Knowledge Transfer". Unfortunately, there are 28 million sites listed for this search. To move out onto the longer portion of the "long tail" we need to find related keywords with less searches, but ones that can be easily targeted. Kymanox already ranks very high for "Ideal Knowledge Transfer", since Kymanox' Ideal Knowledge Transfer is our trademarked process. But what if I want to target is something that we don't yet have any exposure on?

"Biotech knowledge transfer" is a good start, as this has 380,000 linked items, which is much less than the 28 million we started out with. Kymanox has no presence for this keyword combination, which is a bit odd because it is something we focus a lot of our efforts on. What I've also noted is that none of the top items specifically uses "biotech knowledge transfer" as the title of the document. I'm going to create a document and place it on the Kymanox website, and try a bit of a test to see how quickly we can be ranked on google for "Biotech Knowledge Transfer".

I'll follow up on this in a couple of weeks, and see if Kymanox has entered the "Biotech Knowledge Transfer" results.

No comments:

Post a Comment